Early Help Offer


Early Help

Granville Academy subscribe to the Early Help Pingle offer and also can refer into Derbyshire Early Help.  The difference between these services is the level of need in which they cater for.  Our Designated Safeguarding Lead or Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead can discuss with you and recommend where your level of need sits once we have met with you as a family.

What is early help?

Early help is a way of getting extra support when your family needs it, but getting it as soon as difficulties start, rather than waiting until things get worse. It is for children and young people of any age. Help can come from all kinds of services and organisations who work together to support your family. You might be using some of these services already, but we want to make sure they are providing the right support for the whole family’s needs. 

Why would I seek early help?

It could be that you are worried about your child’s health, development or behaviour or perhaps because you are caring for a disabled child. Maybe your child is affected by domestic abuse, drugs, or alcohol. Perhaps your child is a carer for other people. 

Who do I ask?

Any professional can complete an Early Help referral.  At Granville Academy, our pastoral and safeguarding team will discuss referrals with you.

What sort of services or help do I get?

It depends on what you need and it might include services you are already accessing. We will agree it with you and make sure it all joins up. Here are just a few examples:

  •        Family and young people support
  •        Advice and welfare
  •        Youth support
  •        Parenting groups
  •        Drop-in sessions
  •        Domestic violence
  •        Support Groups for male carers/Dads Behaviour
  •        Education welfare
  •        Housing advice
  •        Benefits advice

What happens in an early help assessment?

You will be fully involved and we will listen to you. It may be that we just talk to you and signpost you to the support you want/need. If it is more complicated, we will need to ask you for information, so that we can complete a detailed referral.

Can I say no to an early help assessment?

Yes you can. But we would like to stay in contact with you in case your circumstances alter or you change your mind.

Does it mean social services will get involved?

No. If in the future your circumstances change and it becomes a possibility, we will keep you involved and work with you so that you understand what is happening and why.

What happens when I stop receiving early help services?

We want you to become confident and able to find your own solutions and take responsibility for your family. You can continue to use all services that are open to families and children and if your needs change then please ask us for further help should you need it. There are times when children, young people and families need extra help. Someone might offer this to you, but other times you might want to ask for it.